Carson: 23 Months

I can not believe that in one month we will have a TWO YEAR OLD! We are excited to head back to Kansas to celebrate with family and friends!

Over the past month Carson has discovered the TV (yikes!). I have to admit there have been times in the past where I wish he would sit and watch a TV show while I prepared dinner or picked up the living room a bit, but it just never happened. Well he found a show on Comcasts' On-Demand feature that he will watch for a good length of time. And don't dare try to tell him otherwise (or turn it off early) because you will have a true toddler on your hands. The videos are by Baby Genius and they have a few characters that sing nursery rhymes. Some of the videos also incorporate children singing the songs. I loved that he was interested in these at first (for reasons stated earlier) but there are days where he gets up in the morning and brings us the remote. Aside from the nursery rhymes, he has also taken to a My Pal Scout DVD called Numberland. So our remote stays hidden a lot these days!

Another big moment for Carson this past month was moving to a toddler bed. He did pretty good at first (and thank goodness for video monitors) but over the past week or so he has become so ornery with the bed. Everything is a game to him on how to test the boundaries of getting out. To keep my frustrations of him not sleeping at bay, I sat by his bed last night and rubbed his belly 'til he feel asleep. Hopefully he grows out of this soon and we will be back to good bed behavior. He has also decided that it is necessary to wake up at 6:30 (and today 6:00) a.m. I'm hoping this goes back to normal too very soon!

Some developmental news, I'm pretty sure some new teeth are poking through or are very close to coming in. Lately he has just been chomping on his fingers and yesterday almost had his whole hand in his mouth. He still isn't articulating anything, but is actively learning about new objects. Even though he won't talk, we try to engage him by asking him where something is and having him point to it (which we then put emphasis on the sound of the word). These range from different animals, to shapes, numbers, objects and most recently actions. He thinks the baby going "waa waa waa" is hilarious (oh just you wait kid!) He is wearing 3T shirts and size 8 shoes and needs some 4T pajamas. He has gotten a little better with eating and I actually got him to eat chicken nuggets and a few pieces of chicken sausage! I found the pre-made meals on sale at the grocery store and decided to give them a try (because Carson is one of those kids that when he doesn't get food right when he wants it, whoa! World War III). So I pop them in the microwave when we get home from daycare and he chows down. He ate the sweet and sour chicken and I was so shocked!! He really is a snacker so if I can feed him a meal right when he wakes up or gets home from daycare he eats very good. Lately he's been snacking on baby carrots which I won't complain about :)

A big change we will make over the next month is going to full-time daycare. I went back and forth on this decision for a few weeks before deciding/realizing it is for the best right now (you can read more about my thoughts on this here). Carson is getting to the stage where he needs to be fully engaged (and not by the TV all morning long) and I think he enjoys being at daycare (just not when mommy has a to drop him off). We originally planned to delay this 'til after my maternity leave, but after watching him cry because we can't go play outside and a day I had some pregnancy sickness unexpectedly, I think it will be the best for both him and myself.

This is my second to last "monthly" update on Carson as it will soon be time to document baby 2!







No comments: