Carson Goes To Daycare

Thursday last week I could not wait for this day to come. But as the time got closer and closer to us needing to leave, I was wondering what I was thinking before! Lately Carson has been wanting my attention non-stop which is making it very hard to work. We tried to delay "help" as long as we could, but the time has finally come.

Reid and I both took and picked him up today which made things a little easier. I'm also (thankfully) not one of those people who becomes a complete mess when I see my child cry. For example at his first doctor's appointment where shots were involved, the nurses thought I was "so brave" for not reacting to him crying. And in all honesty, I didn't think he would do that bad. At home he is Mr. Independent, so I thought he would see a room full of new toys and be distracted that we were about to leave. Well poor guy didn't even want me to set him down. But we stuck around for a couple minutes, trying to show him the new toys, but he wasn't having it so we said our goodbyes and walked out. Poor guy was crying hysterically and we walked out with his teacher holding him in the rocking chair.

First Day of Daycare: 16 Months

I tried to distract my mind because I didn't want to think about him being so unhappy all day long. Thankfully work picked up a little bit so the day went quickly. I was also able to take Snyder on a 3.5 mile run at lunch, actually eat lunch myself, and do 30 minutes of pilates after work. At one point in the day, I almost felt guilty that I was enjoying some time to myself. I know I have a full-time job (sometimes I have to remind myself since I just sit at home doing it) but it felt weird sending him off somewhere when I'm just "at home." But I know as soon as he becomes more comfortable with the drop-offs, he will love going to daycare because he will be engaged all day. In the end, I think both he and I will be much happier!

Here are the notes we got about his day...

THE BEST PART OF MY DAY WAS: Getting to know my new Toddler buddies and Ms. Becky. I had fun playing with toys and the playground was so fun. He had a wonderful first day. Some tears but could be redirected with toys :) He did great!

I ATE: All my meals including cereal, chicken/bean/rice/cheese burrito, peaches & pears and some crackers

NAP: 12:30 - 2:30 (What?! I was so excited to see this. His first time sleeping on a cot he did great!)

So happy to see this piece of paper when we picked him up. He cried a little when he saw us, but as soon as I picked him up he wouldn't let anyone else hold him. Made me feel very special, given I don't get that kind of loving at home. I think my friend Steph was spot-on in saying that the time you do have with him now you will appreciate so much more! I couldn't agree more, and it's only been one day!! I was in a major mom-funk in that I was just so exhausted after work from balancing paying attention to him and still trying to be a good employee and get my work done. Now I am able to take better care of myself, and when I bring Carson home I just want to love and play with him because I missed him all day!!

Snuggles

Hi Dad

No comments: