Hiking Colorado: Ice Lakes

While down in Durango for our fall family adventure, Reid and I knew we would have the chance to go on a hike by ourselves so we found the Ice Lakes Trail outside Silverton. After seeing the pictures I was very excited to hike this, but when we woke up to snow and gray, cloudy skies my excitement quickly diminished. But it didn't stop us from enjoying some trail time together.

The drive in to Silverton was actually quite beautiful. The trees popped even more against the snow and gray skies and I was amazed.




We reached the trailhead and soon were off. I could tell the scenery around us was one-of-a-kind but it was hard to see due to the weather. The trail up to the lower lake I'd say was a medium difficulty and was nothing special but it really opened up when you got to Lower Ice Lake. You could stop here or continue across a tricky creek crossing (which I almost turned back on) to Upper Ice Lake. It just got prettier and prettier as you approached the upper lake and I'm glad I made the hops over the creek to continue on. But this is also the point I wish the weather was clearer for some pretty spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and Upper Ice Lake.

















I think the trees changed even more on our hike as our drive back to Silverton seemed more brilliant than we we got to the trailhead. No hike is ever a bad hike, do despite the dreary weather we enjoyed our time on the trails but also enjoyed see our boys again for lunch in Silverton.



No comments: