Hiking Colorado: Quandary Peak

Quandary is one of the 'easier' 14ers and is very popular for people to go climb so when my littlest started daycare I took a personal day for work and headed out to climb with a friend, hoping to avoid the crowds.

Quandary is just outside Breckenridge, Colo and the trailhead is very easy to come across. The parking area directly across from the trail is small, so I would just park at the larger area and walk the road to the trailhead (it's not very far at all). You start out hiking in the trees but it's not long before they break and the rest of the way you are exposed. So if you choose to go in the summer make sure you get an early start to beat the storms and have sunscreen!



Once you get going on the trail, there isn't much change in scenery as you are just out to gain elevation. We passed a mountain goat and saw a couple more at the summit. So all in all not very many picture worth moments.







At the summit there is a sign you can take pictures with and also the survey to mark the peak. My husband had plans to go out with a fried on a different route up Quandary, but we didn't think timing would work out that we'd see him on the trail. But as I got up to the summit I happened to hear voices and looked over and saw him and his friend coming up to the summit from the other direction. Such a fun surprise!












It was the perfect day to head out for some 'me' time and as much as I love taking my kids out to explore the great outdoors, I look forward to more kid-free hikes in the future.

No comments: