He's Finally Here!

I can't believe we can say that our little guy is finally here!! It seemed like the last few weeks dragged, but now that he's here, it's like we've always had him.

On Tuesday, May 21st I went to the doctor for my 39 week check-up. At this appointment, the doc did a cervical check on me and said I was already 4cm dilated. With this news, all I could do was hope that Carson was ready to come any day now. Work the remainder of the day was difficult. So much so that I let my bosses know that this day was going to be my final day of working. I must have had an intuition of what was to come...

Wednesday, May 22nd I woke up around 5am with some cramping. After laying in bed for a bit, I noticed that they had somewhat of a pattern to them. I started to time them, on the off chance "today was the day" and sure enough they were coming in waves 6-7min apart and lasting about 1min each. I woke Reid up and we decided to shower and get our things together on the off chance we would be heading to the hospital. We started to re-time again about 8:00am. Now these cramps were 3-4min apart, still lasting about a minute each. So at 8:30am we called the doctor and walked out the door to take Snyder to boarding.

On our way to dropping Snyder off, the doctor returned my call and asked if I could come in to the office to be hooked up on a monitor to make sure I was having "real" contractions. At this point, the pain had picked up but I was still managing well with nice deep breaths. In the waiting room of the doctor's office, I began to kneel over a chair and have Reid rub my back. Things were starting to pick up. I wasn't hooked up on the monitor for long before it was determined I was in labor! After another cervical check that indicated I was 6cm, we headed to the hospital. It was at this point before getting into the car that I broke dwn in tears. I was nervous, excited, anxious, scared, happy, relieved, pretty much name an emotion and it was probably going through my mind. We called our parents on the drive over to let them know they would have a new grandson very soon :)

We checked into the hospital about 10:30am. Reid and I had discussed and raead books prior to try and have a natural child birth. We both thought it would be best for a better labor and recovery. Well I only made it 2 hours in the delivery room before I was asking for the magical medicine. It just seemed nothing I was doing was giving me any sort of relief. Or maybe it was my body preparing me for what was to come.

5:30pm rolled around and I was given the go-ahead to start pushing. The doctor and nurses were all shocked at how low the baby was sitting, that they were certain I would have a shorter pushing period. Well a long, hot and miserable 2+ hours later, Carson Joseph Jennings was born at 7:51pm. What a blessing to hear those cries!

Meeting my lil boy for the first time
 
Born May 22, 2013 at 7:51pm. 8lbs 6.3oz, Carson Joseph Jennings is perfect

Carson loved holding Reid's finger

Our family of three

We finally were checked in to our recovery room about 11:00pm and eventually got settled and to sleep about 1:00am. I don't remember much as I was groggy, tired and exhausted from labor. But the next morning I woke up refreshed and was finally able to take in that WE HAVE A BABY!! This day was filled with doctors, nurses and hospital staff popping in and out for various reasons. We even had a photography service stop in to take some pictures. After seeing how they turned out, I couldn't pass up but purchasing the prints.

Pictures from Bella Baby Photography


Pictures from Bella Baby Photography
The day ended with some family from Ft Collins coming down to meet Carson! It was only fitting that Aunt Sharon see Carson first as she was the first to see my engagement ring after Reid proposed. This day, May 23rd, also happened to be our 4-year-anniversary and I have to say this is an anniversary we will never forget. I'm just glad Carson has his own day to celebrate :)

Friday, May 24th we checked out of the hospital and headed home to tackle life on our own! Thank goodness my parents were coming in town that night to lend a helping hand...

(to be continued)

 


No comments: