My First Week

Well we are finally home! Reid and I were ready to leave the hospital. Sure it was nice knowing that someone was there if we needed them, but we were going stir crazy just sitting in hospital beds all day long. We were ready to get in to our own routine in our own home...plus we missed Snyder!

Reid had always made fun of those "baby on board stickers" but on our drive home I think he had a new take on them. We were driving so slow and cautious that he thought the sticker would be helpful to let other people know why he was driving so slow! I still don't think he would put one on his car if he had one.

But we made it home and instantly thought, well now what! Lol!! Reid went and got Snyder and he took to Carson pretty well. He would give a curious head nod when Carson cried (like a, what is that noise) and of course he just wanted to lick him. But as the weeks have gone on, Reid and I have noticed quite a change and he will lay by Carson with no problems and even follow whoever is pushing Carson on a walk. Can't wait to see them play together.


Bath time!! The nurse at the hospital made it look so easy so we were hoping for the same. Things went pretty smoothly, aside from him sliding down the seat we had. He didn't really fuss and loved having the water dumped on his head. Warmed him right up!! After his sponge bath, we wrapped him up in his shark towel. Cutest shark I've ever seen :)



For the most part, and my parents confirmed, Carson is a pretty chill baby. He isn't overly fussy and only so when he wants something. He did not take to the crib very well (or apparently we did not master the swaddling technique yet) so I spent the first few nights up on the couch with him. He seemed to only sleep well laying on his newborn lounger with me right by his side. At least my parents were there to let me take some naps during the day!! But aside from the sleepiness, he is worth every tired moment I have. He makes so many goofy faces and I love learning new things about him everyday. One other thing we've noticed is he loves looking at the ceiling fans. I think we might have another engineer to add to the family!


Carson wrapped up his first week with his cord stump falling off! It was hanging on by fine threads and I was freaking out (with the heebie geebies) so I woke my mom up in the middle of the night to make sure this was normal, haha. I didn't think it would happen so quick.



My advice I learned in weeks to come about surviving the first week with a newborn is to LET YOUR BABY BE A NEWBORN! I'm not sure why, but Reid and I tried to put Carson in some sort of routine and get him to take to things (like sleeping in his crib) and became overly stressed and frustrated when things weren't going OUR way. So lesson learned, right now it's CARSON'S way!

Hmm..what are my thoughts on being one week old?


No comments: