Mini Mountain Get-Away

Last Sunday Reid got a text from his boss asking if he could fill-in for depo's all week in Edwards, Colo. Of course I wanted him to have the opportunity, just stressed we had a 12 hour notice of me managing the house, dog and Carson for a week alone! Thankfully my boss was generous enough to let me have Friday off, so Thursday after work I picked up Carson from daycare and we headed up to Edwards for the weekend. It only took 1hr 45 min to get there, so we met Reid at the Smiling Moose for dinner. We returned to the hotel just in time to catch a sunset from the hotel balcony.


Now let's talk about this hotel. We stayed at the Riverwalk Inn and Suites and it's going to be really hard to stay in a normal hotel again! It was a true 1 bedroom that was completely separate and could be closed off from the living area with it's own bathroom. Then there was a full kitchen and separate bathroom in the living area. It was so nice having that bedroom separate for Carson at bedtime. Now onto the weekend...

Friday: Reid had to work again today, but too our surprise he was done by noon. Trying to fill the day with as much as I could, I started with a walk on the trail behind the hotel. Unfortunately Carson was still tired, cranky and would not walk! Yikes considering I didn't have the stroller. Thankfully my belly isn't too big yet, so I was able to cradle him with two hands. We crossed a bridge where I stopped for a break to listen to the water then decided to keep walking. I saw a small hill which I decided would be my turnaround as soon as I got to the top, but when I got there I realized we were at the dog park :) Perfecto!! Thankfully Carson wanted to walk around the park while Snyder got some off leash time. I tracked the walk later on and it was about a .6 mile walk to the park. A good work out for walking while carrying 30lbs. After our walk I decided to take a drive into the mountains for "nap time" so I went off towards Leadville. Not very fond of the road I had to take to get there, but I put my fears aside and we drove to Tennessee Pass then turned around. By the time I had gotten back to Edwards, I had a missed call from Reid to let me know he was done for the day. Yippee!! We walked over to Old Forge Pizza for lunch then decided to meet up with someone we knew from the area so Reid could go rock climbing.

The trail followed the Eagle River

Freedom Park

Watching Snyder have fun at the dog park

Mountain views on our walk

Views on my drive to Tennessee Pass

Reid's friend Brandon wanted to show Reid some climbing in Wolcott which is about 5 miles west of Edwards. The trail we took to get to the crags was actually an abandoned railroad track. We hiked up to the wall and unfortunately there wasn't much roaming room for Carson. He wanted to be adventurous and walk around, but it was slippery dirt and he was not letting us help him. So Reid had to take us back down to the tracks where Carson and I hung out while Reid did some climbing.








Saturday: We woke up and enjoyed some breakfast and coffee before packing up to head home later in the day. We had our skis with us to enjoy some winter activity in the mountains and we ventured off to Cordillera which is a mountain community in Edwards with a nordic center. Unfortunately the snow wasn't deep enough for our skis, and the winter recreation trails weren't clearly marked, so we called it a loss and decided to make the drive to Tennessee Pass where we knew there would be plenty of snow. We got up there and didn't have any service, so we set out on a trail. I later looked it up and we did a 2.5 mile loop on the Powderhound Trail. The snow wasn't ideal, even for the stickiest wax, but I had as much fun as I could and decided this would be my last time on skis while pregnant.











We had a great little mini get-away and enjoyed lots of quality family time together. Now back to reality :(


No comments: