Mt Lindsey

Well another weekend passed by and another weekend we went to play in the mountains. Reid, still on his quest to climb all the Colorado 14ers, had a trip planned to go down near Pueblo to climb Mt Lindsey. I still have this fear of going up steeper terrain so I wasn't planning on going, but Saturday night about 8pm I changed my mind and decided to come along.

This was a good weekend for daylight savings because we got up at 3:30a to get ready to head out for the 3+ hour trip to the mountain. Reid had invited some of his hiking friends along so on the way out we stopped and picked up someone and his two dogs. Snyder wasn't thrilled about sharing his beds with other dogs but I think he enjoyed the dogs company on the trail.

When we finally made it to the trailhead, Reid's other hiking buddy met us there to join our hike. Off we went into a beautiful basin with mountains towering above us. I'm never un-impressed by the beauty the mountains. Over the past few months my cardio workouts have taken a hit (doctor's orders) so this hike was a workout for me. Not to mention one of the other people hiking with us lives at 9,000 feet in the mountains so this was nothing to him and he was walking like it. But I eventually found my own pace and made it to the next basin.

Sign for the trail as we entered the basin

At this point we could finally get a glimpse of the mountain and that's when I decided I might just hang back and let this be a boys summit. There are times where I put my fear aside and will summit, but this mountain looked a little more daunting than others I've stood before. So after a short rest we were off to the saddle where I would wait and watch the boys push to the top.

Mt Lindsey is the pointy guy on the very left of the picture

Hard to see in the small picture but I could see Reid and his friend climbing the gulley and his other friend near the top walking the ridge line

The weather was pretty nice the whole hike up but of course as soon as I stop moving the sun decided to go away and that mixed with some winds around 13,000 feet elevation made it quite chilly while I patiently waited. But it was pretty cool getting to see Reid and his friends climb up the face of the mountain toward the summit. The dogs were also along for the summit and Reid said there were a few times Snyder didn't quite know what to do and had to be hoisted to the next rock. Poor guy, but what a trooper!

Hanging out and waiting for the boys to come back from their summit

Snyder coming back. I'm sure he was glad to be back off that mountain

When the boys (and dogs) made it back down, we had a nice hike out and even pondered some nicknames for the baby on the way out. I suggessted Reid should give it a mountain name and he came up with Calebra "because it's the coolest Colorado mountain name." I suggested KC because the first big climb for our little one was up Challenger and Kit Carson. I don't now why, but for some reason no nicknames are still sticking with me.

Glad he convinced me to come out for the trip

Well usually after our hikes we stop for a burger and beer (maybe I should start having burger and dessert :) ) but since we were farther away we made a quick trip to Wendy's instead, lol. Still enjoyable after burning all those calories! We made it back home in time to watch the BCS show before bed to see K-State still at #2 in the country. Way to go 'Cats!!

Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more hikes in before I'm out of commission for a while.

No comments: