Date Night and Pumpkin Bars

Well we are very happy that Reid has passed the bar and for the past few weeks he has been busy working on a contract project. Unfortunately he was stuck in the office all weekend :( so Snyder and I had lots of together time.

Saturday night Reid and I went to Breckenridge to attend one of the North Face Speaker Series. This particular one was about Cory Richards who is best known for becomming "the first American to summit an 8000-meter peak in winter. (Pakistan's Gasherbrum II)" He has combined his love for climbing with a passion for photography and it was the perfect speaker for us to see. He talked about his life story and how he got to where he is today and along the way showcased his photography and videos from many climbs.

View of the river running through the heart of Breck

Reid and I took a walk around some shops before the speaker

I think the world was coming to an end on Sunday because I decided to bake something! If you know me, I'm not one to spend much time in the kitchen, let alone bake anything. But I have had the urge for a few days now and today decided to try something out. My treat was pumpkin bars, modified from the Better Homes and Garden, New Cookbook Bridal Edition. I haven't tasted them yet but they smelled heavenly when I pulled them out of the oven.


Pumpkin Bars

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmet
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 of a 15oz can of pumpkin
1/2 cup of plain yogurt (I learned after combining all my ingredients I had no oil)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
**15 caramel squares

1. Preheat oven to 350F. In bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir in eggs, pumpkin and yogurt  until combined. Mix in chocolate chips if desired. Spread into ungreased baking pan.

2. Bake 25-30 minutes (or until toothpick comes clean). Cool for two hours.

3. While baking, I melted the caramel squares with 2 teaspoons of water over low heat and poured over bars after cooked.

No comments: